Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Wildcard Wednesday #13

This week's theme: Brom's The Plucker. As cheesy as this may sound, finding this book felt like a fateful moment in a movie. I saw it from the top of the shelf at my local library-it was bigger and taller than the other books, and it jutted out awkwardly. The moment I pulled it down and saw the cover, without having to looking at the plot on the sleeve, I knew I had to read this. And over the course of one night and one morning, I read the book and absolutely loved it.
It is my dream to turn this book into an animated movie. There was one previous attempt at making a movie of The Plucker in 2008 (with Channing Tatum slated to direct and star in it), but it was dropped. And every time I read the book, even without looking at the illustrations, I can just see how this movie would play in my head. I've got so many ideas for the screenplay and animatics, I could lose myself in development. And since no one else seems to be making a movie out of it, I'll take on the task myself.
If you haven't read the book, read it. It's wonderful.

The Plucker, Brom, toys, Jack

The Plucker #1: The hero of the book is Jack, a jack-in-the-box who's no longer wanted by the kid who owns him, Thomas. These sketches were done last year, and most of them are based off of some of the illustrations inside the book (although #4 was a stab at trying to draw Jack with a fusion of Brom's and my early art style).

The Plucker, Brom, toys, Jack

The Plucker #2: These are some more recent sketches (done just this week, actually). Right now, as far as artistic duties go, my focus is on refining all my previous models for the characters in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment